EMF Funding Support for Sector Specific Activities
The Maritime Educational Foundation (MEF) is a shipping industry charitable organisation overseen by a board of Trustees who represent Nautilus International, the Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers union (RMT), several UK based shipping companies and the UK Chamber of Shipping. The MEF strategy is managed on a day-to-day basis by the Merchant Navy Training Board.
The MEF strives to be a centre of excellence for seafarer training and provides support to the maritime sector for defined education and training purposes. Projects or activities should address one or more of the following:
- Enhance the knowledge of UK seafarers;
- Enrich the training opportunities available to UK seafarers;
- Develop and improve the quality of UK Merchant Navy training;
- Promote the safety of UK seafarers;
- Identify, encourage and provide education to potential future UK merchant seafarers;
- Improve the ship environment on vessels that include UK seafarers and officer cadets in terms of culture, gender equality, behaviours etc.
Applications for sector specific funding should be submitted by 31st March and 30th September each year for consideration by Trustees at the subsequent May and November meetings.