The Nippon Foundation invites applications for its grants for maritime and ship-related projects. These support ocean-related projects.
Grants may be awarded to the types of projects outlined below:
- projects that contribute to the formation of a new international order of the seas by promoting mutual understanding and multilateral cooperation on ocean issues;
- international capacity and network building projects that promote cooperation among ocean experts;
- projects that foster sustainable regional development through multilateral cooperation;
- projects that promote public understanding and appreciation of the ocean through international activities;
- other original and innovative international projects related to the ocean.
Regional or international non-profit organisations, including educational and research institutions, worldwide excluding Japan may apply. Projects generally have a duration up to five years.